Will Swan Geese descendants and Greylag descendants coexist peacefully?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Buxton Ducks, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I am adding more geese to my flock! I always loved ducks and had no idea how much I loved geese until I got some! I currently have 5 greylag types (2 sebbies (goose and gander), 1 buff gander, 1 pilgrim goose, and 1 toulouse goose. They currently share a 5 x 20 nighttime coop with an attached 15 x 25 pen outside. When I get home, they all get to free range. My ducks all live next to them but don't share the same pen or nighttime coop. I have decided to order 8 more geese for spring (I may or may not keep all 8 depending on the sexes of the goslings). I ordered 2 pomeranians, 2 romans, 2 sebbies, and 2 brown chinese. I fell in love with brown chinese at the feed store who keeps their own flock there. Do you think this will be an issue with 11 greylag descendants and 2 swan geese types? I know of people who keep them together but I just don't want turmoil in the flock.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have seen plenty of mixed flocks, and they seem to all get along fine. The only ones I might keep separate would be the big slow birds like dewlap Toulouse. I think you will be fine.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Thanks a bunch! I am starting off this year with 2 Romans and 2 Poms now so most likely this summer I will add a couple chinese!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by