1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will taking my roo's away, stop my hens from laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Jul 17, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    My chickens are 15 weeks old and we are going to put the roo's up (in the freezer). Now is the time to do it. Anyway, will this or could this prolong our hens in the egg producing time frame? Can it be so stressful that the Rooster's aren't there that they won't produce? Does anyone know? Thank you!

2. Rogue_Woman

Rogue_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    NC
    At thier age, probably not, they will have forgotten all about the roos by the time they start laying. My 2 year old hens stopped laying for 2 days when I froze "puffy" then resumed at a slowed pace until egg production was normal again after 2 weeks.

3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    IMO, for just a layer flock they will fair better without the roosters

4. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    I wouldn't think taking the roos away would change much. If anything, they may like it that way. Sometimes my roo seems to bug the girls and they run from him.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I take my roosters out of the pen with the hens during the summers to give the hens a break...I see no difference in their egg laying...

6. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Thank you all for your insight!

7. TeacherRich

TeacherRich New Egg

Jul 19, 2008
    First time on the Forum,

I have 2 Beautiful Brown Hens that hatched on April 5, they have not shown any broodiness or pre-egg laying tendencies. They have been on 'Layer Mix for the last 2 weeks, and run around the backyard all day. They haven't seen a rooster in 7 weeks. Are they a little late ? right on time ? or do they need a rooster to get things started ? I will not be able to keep a rooster in my suburban area, but the hens are fine with my neighbors.

any suggestions? or should I let nature run its course?

The girls were a science project in my classroom and I would like to keep them to eat bugs and things in my yard and for the fresh eggs.

thanks,

TeacherRich

8. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    a rooster shouldn't affect things.... just let nature run its course.

9. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Yup, your hens will still lay. [​IMG]

10. TeacherRich

TeacherRich New Egg

Jul 19, 2008
    Thanks for you input. The girls look great and love having our yard to roam around in. Hopefully we will get a few eggs soon to prove to my wife that they are worth keeping. (she is more practical than I am)

thanks again

TeacherRich

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by