will taking the light out cold turkey make for cold chickie?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rooneytune, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    My girls are 5 weeks old and are locked up in their big girl coop... Last night was the first night out and they seemed to do fine! I didn;t have their light on for the day (50-60s today).. it is supposed to be down in the 30-40s tonight... should I turn on their heat light or should I let them tough it out?

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    If they are fully feathered they should be fine but I still like to raise the light a little higher and higher everyday for a week or so to kind of get them used to the chill.

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Are they feathered out? They should be ok if they are. But if they have a hard time going in to roost... I might leave the light on for a couple hours until they get situated.

4. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    they are don;t have free time in the run yet (as it is not constructed) last night the ignored my carefully crafted roosts and slept in the nesting box... I like the idea of phasing out the light...my hubby is not jazzed with the power bill [​IMG]

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    30 degrees is pretty cold for a 5 week old chick to take cold turkey but as long as they are fully feathered I wouldnt sweat it too much. If not I would keep the heat on them until they are. You dont have to use a 200 watt heat lamp...a 75 watt bulb would work fine at their age for a couple days then no heat at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by