Will temporary mould hurt my chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krista74, Jan 10, 2015.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    We have had several days of 40 degree celcius temperatures (100F) and finally the rain came through yesterday. Unfortunately, it is still hot and terribly humid, and I awoke this morning to find the whole run (yes, every inch of the bare dirt ground) covered in a fine, fluffy mould.

The rain is expected to continue for the next 4 days, after which the blinding heat will be back and things will presumably dry out. Even in Winter we did not have mould like this!

Will the birds be ok in those conditions for the next few days? I am thinking about raking the mould up to disperse it, and can put hay around the feeders, but anything I put down today will only grow mould tomorrow.

Sigh....what should I do?

They have their coop to sleep in which is mould-free, but they can't stay in there all day as it is way too hot.

- Krista

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Not sure if that mold is dangerous but probably not the best thing to have, You can kill it with an application of bleach. But that gets tricky. You need to keep your chickens out of that area until bleach dissipates. I'm up over and you are down under. so our climates are a bit different. BEST WISHES

3. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Tricky, indeed. That is the only run we have, and nothing is going to dissipate with the rain we are expecting to continue over the next 4 days!

Hmmm, lots to think about.

I've gone out and scraped up the top layer of the run and removed it. I've picked up any food in the run too (they love corn, the there were old corn cobs with fur on them!) I don't think there is anything mouldy out there they can eat as their feeders are dry.

Possibly this is the best I can do for them. The heat is expected to come back in 5 days time, so hopefully that clears up the rest of the problem.

Thanks for your comments!

- Krista

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Good idea scraping the soil, but I'm afraid the mold may have released spores recontaminating the soil. I highly recommend that you put sand in your run, at least 12.7cm (5 inches) deep. Sand dries quicker than dirt after rain and doesnt wash away like dirt. Sand also helps deter insects and parasites. Think beach.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  5. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Thank you for the great suggestion.

I will speak to hubby about it but I suspect he will balk at the cost.

We are renting and he is not inclined to want to spend a lot of money on a property which is not ours.

It sounds like a wonderful idea though and I imagine it would look wonderful!

Thanks for your advice.

- Krista

6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Straight vinegar in a spray bottle, spray the whole area down as best you can. It kills aprox 80% of molds and will not hurt the chickens, although I suggest keeping them out of the run for at least an hour so vinegar fumes aren't as strong. Cheap and hopefully should help. Good luck!

7. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Now that I CAN do!

I'll let them out for an hour's free-ranging tonight before dusk and spray the run then.

Hopefully if I let them out late enough they will come back to the run and head straight into the coop to sleep afterwards.

Thank you!

- Krista

8. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

You're welcome! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by