1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will tetracyline help Coryza?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lynn57, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Lynn57

Lynn57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    I posted the other day about my silkie having a bubbly eye. Well she now has a clear discharge coming from her nasil passages. I'm suspecting Coryza (from what I've read) Now one of my other hens has some bubbles on her eye and the same clear discharge from her nose. I'm in Alberta and can only seem to find Tetracyline here...is there any use treating them with this?
    thanks so much

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Can someone help?

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I have read that sulmet is the best way to fight coryza. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. Are you sure that's what it is?

ETA: If tetracycline is the only antibiotic you can get, I'd go with that but I don't think it's strong enough to cure coryza. jmho

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  4. Lynn57

Lynn57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    thanks, no I'm not 100% sure at all. They aren't sneezing or wheezing and there is no swelling of eyes or wattles, but they definitly have something. Eyes are bubbly with fluid and clear discharge from nasel. Everything else is good as far as active and eating lots etc.

Here is a good site for disease info.

http://www.umaine.edu/livestock/Publications/AIC.htm

5. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Tylan 50.

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    The biggest characteristic about coryza is the distinct odor it emits, or so I've read.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by