1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will the air sac expand on a bad egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Happy Chooks, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    This is my first time at candling. My eggs are on Day 13....welsummers, BR, and BBS Orp. Some of my eggs are so hard to see into that I've been comparing the air cells to try to judge how they are doing. I have seen movement in some, but trying to figure out the ? eggs.

I *think* I have 1 blood ring, maybe 2.

So does the air sac expand on a non viable egg?

2. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Mine did. I think the air cells get larger because of evaporation so it won't matter if they are clear or died.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Bummer. And here I thought I found a great way to make sure they are doing okay. Shoot, back to square 1.

I still have 6 ? eggs. I suspect 1 is a blood ring. And I saw another one that looked like a vein, but it was only partially around the egg, so maybe it's a blood ring too.

4. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

according to my hatch experience (only 2 batches). yes, they will. non fertile egg will always expand air sacs.

even, when not incubated, egg will have air sacs bigger and bigger as the result of vaporization, except, you stored it inside fridge or freeze it, nothing will vaporize when freezed inside fridge. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by