Will the big girls poo hurt the little ones?

chickengal30

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
West coast of Florida.
My two, four and a half week olds are going into the big girls run today (I have four, seven month olds) in a separate cage for their protection. My question is, I have sand as my flooring in the run, and clean the poops out every day, but those of you who have sand will know you dont get 100% of the poop out, tiny bits stay - so will this be harmful to my babies as they will be walking on the used sand ( it was compleatly new sand about six weeks ago, doesnt smell, very few flys) The chicks are on a medicated starter feed, and were purchased unvaccinated(?) My big girls are healthy as horses, ....what do you think?
caf.gif
Thanks.

My best guess is they will be fine, they should have the med feed for a while after introduction to new coop for a little insurance.Try to keep the big girls from eating the med feed.

Last edited:
Fred's Hens :

Their world is going to be filled with such things. No time like the present to get used to it all.

Yeppers. When raising chicks within the flock (chicks hatched and raised by the broody) I don't even bother with the medicated starter and the chicks eat the same flockraiser as all the others do. Being exposed gradually helps them to build the same immunity that the adults have.​

They will eat what they eat poop or what ever. The chicks can eat almost anything as long as it has all the basic ingredients. Add soluble vitamins in the water and enjoy the kids. Life is to short!!

Back
Top Bottom