will the bird boomers scare my flock?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Zigapor, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Zigapor

Zigapor Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    ON
    we have farmers nearby who have bird boomers to protect their crops... do you think the bangs will scare my birds at all? is there a way to get them used to the sounds? They are rather LOUD! (i don't mind them, rather have safe crops than no crops)

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I doubt it. Once they hear a sound enough they get used to it. They even walk up to me on a running riding mower, and pay no attention to the sound of my circular saw running at all.

3. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    I googled bird boomer cause I didn't know what it was. What are they? My birds got used to dove season very fast with all the gun shots and they don't run for their lives every time a dog barks or a door slams rather loudly so I think they may get use to it.

4. Zigapor

Sep 9, 2012
    ON
    bird boomers are air cannons that fire to scare off birds who feed on crops... during peek season they can go off evrey three minutes, three shots at a time

5. Zigapor

Sep 9, 2012
    ON
    oh sorry, bird bangers! we call them boomers cause they go BOOM!

6. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    3 every 3 min wow that must cost a fortune in bangers

yes they will get used to it

its like horses and other animals

country horses never get used to cars driving past and drivers slow down for riders

but on-road work horses get used to it and travel the roads along side cars as well as horse and carriages

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  7. Zigapor

Sep 9, 2012
    ON
    ok thats good to know. The bangers stop over the winter months (no crops up here from october to june)... we planned on getting chicks in the spring, so there will be no bangers for a few months... how to I get the used to the sounds when they start up again? Just leave them be and get them accustomed on their own?

8. Zigapor

Sep 9, 2012
    ON
    and yeah, I have no idea how much they cost, but I assume it's better than losing an entire crop to the birds!!!

9. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    The birds will get use to it as long as they hear it. They will be startled the first few times maybe but that is it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by