will the birds be able to up to theis roost? pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sydney13, Jul 3, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i have a cochin, brahma, orpington, easter egger, silkie, jersey giant and barred rock. all of them are chicks except for the silkie so other then her i dont know what their flying abilities will be when they are adults. i know my silkie isn'y able to reach this roost but do you think all the others will be able to get up to it when they are adults?
    [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

They'll make it. Maybe not on one bound, but I see a "cheater" table they can use.

3. bfcerny

bfcerny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    The heavy breeds may have to get creative jumping from one thing to the next and ultimately making their way up there. The lighter breeds should make it in one jump. Looks like about 4/12 to 5 feet high?

4. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    Yes, they should be able to, my chicken's roost is high, and they try to fly up to the rafters. [​IMG]

5. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

They'll jump up on your little cabinet and then onto the roost (or just roost on top of the cabinet). They are going to poop all over the top of the nest, though, and all over your pretty blue privacy curtains. You might want to put an easily cleaned shelf or smooth surface on top of the nest, that overhangs the nest AND the perch in front of the nest by at least a few inches to make that easy to scrape off and keep clean, and keep the poo out of the nests, and off the nest perch, or they will get poop on their feet and then onto their eggs. It's a very nice set up!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  6. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    ^^^^^^^^

Just what I was thinking about those curtains. They will get poo and dust all over them.

Nice little coop. You'll have happy hens.

7. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    I like the curtains very much. I'm thinking of install some in my next nest boxes proyect. How do they work.? Do hens accept these, easily?

8. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:i put them on to make it cozy in the nest boxes but so far i only have 1 hen laying and she isn't able to figure out that she can walk through them so instead she lays on the ground. she is a silkie though so its hard for her to fly up and down from their but i think my other birds will figure it out when they start to lay [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  9. COOPster

COOPster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Mt. Airy, MD
    I have some older birds lower and higher boxes, high ones 5 feet off floor. they always go to them. Anything is possible

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by