Will the broodiness ever let up?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by naturemom, Jun 7, 2008.

1. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    One of my hens is currently in "chicken jail" (a wire-bottomed rabbit cage) to break her of being broody for the 5th time this year! During her last span between broody spells another one was broody! So, since one of my other hens doesn't really lay anymore, that means we're down to 1 egg a day! I'm wondering, will they quit being broody at some point, like maybe when the days start getting shorter?

2. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Well, theoretically, yeah. The broody cycle is linked to day length, but some broodies seem to be more cooperative with science than others...

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Our 3 Silky hens go broody whenever they feel like it. No one told them that the day length should affect them. I spent most of the winter putting them in chicken jail to break them. They'll lay for a week or 3 and then go right back into broody mode...[​IMG]

Dawn

4. karrie

karrie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    My hens go broody regularly, sometimes with inly about a month between! They go to jail also, & they KNOW it's coming when they see me come in with the cage! One just goes ahead & hops in. Hormones.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by