will the chick hatch deformed?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Charlotte, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Hello as alot of you heard I made an incubater but it is not a proper one. The temp goes up and down some times but always stays between 37.0 38. will the chick hatch defomed if the temp goes goes higher and lower like 37.4 next 10 minutes 37.0?
    Please tell me [​IMG]

2. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to say - NICE HORSE in your avatar! What country are you in?

3. thomascook357

thomascook357 New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    I am no expert but i would guess not. The temperature you are reading is just the temp in the incubator however the temp that matters is the internal temp of the egg i have hatched five batches now of chickens pheasants and quail and my incubator does a similar thing but not to your range but i have not had any deformed birds so i say just go with it.

4. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:Thanks

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Charlotte,

I understand you desire to hatch some more chickens- But geting the temperature right is really important. You need more than just a lamp in a box to get an egg to hatch. Have you thought about insulation of the box and providing humidity ? During the night the temperature drops and the egg might not be staying at the right temperature. You cant watch the temperature all day ( and night ) every day- there will be times when it will go lower- and if you get very hot weather- the temp could easily go over 40 degrees during the day.

6. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    hey check in your pm I sent you a message

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    [​IMG] I found it - and I did reply. And I had another thought too !! Charlotte you sound like a great kid with some great ideas. Maybe you could ask at your school if they could hire an incubator to hatch some chickens in your classroom. We did that at my school in grade 6 and it was great for all the kids. I I know its late in the year now- but maybe even next year. That way you could still see them every day- and help raise them in the classroom. Sharing the experience with all your classmates could be a really good experience for you all. I grew up on a farm and I got to take some goslings to school one year. I took them every day for a whole week. My mum had to talk to the teacher about it. But it was great having them there.

Also - I know a few schools down here in Melbourne that are building chook pens in the school grounds!!! . They think its a great idea to have kids learn more about caring for animals. All the kids get a turn at feeding and watering the chooks. And everyone gets to learn heaps about chooks and how to care for them properly- what feed to give them what to do if they get sick- or get worms or lice. Maybe you could talk to your principal about something like that too. School can be fun as well as just boring maths and stuff- but teachers sometimes need suggestions from the kids how to make school better. Some schools might not have the money for something like that- but hey you never know unless you ask right??

8. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    I homeschool but you live in AUS so do I i live in QLD!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by