will the drakes fight , or mate the girls even in the coop overnight?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dawnjoennikki98, Dec 4, 2010.

1. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    Hello everyone. My 8 ducks are 3 months old. we hatched them the first week in september. the drakes (4 of them! [​IMG]...) now have their drake feather's on their tails, and are starting to bite each others necks, and chase each other out of the pools. I only see this when they are in or near the water, i haven't seen it happen when in their small temporary run, and don't see any signs of problems in their coop they're locked up in at night. Will they start to fight over night also? I'm not sure what to do, as I can't seperate 4 pairs of ducks, I don't have the space...I would sell 2 or three drakes if I could but they are our babies, you know, and they've been all inseperable until now. My daughter will not part with them...

2. duck_shepherdess

duck_shepherdess Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    what kind of ducks and how much space in the coop and in the run?

3. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    We are down to 2 drakes and 5 hens and we still want to get rid of one drake.

Yes, they will try to mate in the pen. Ours do it all the time.

Yes, they will continue to fight and chase each other.

We had 5 drakes - we purchased our ducks as a straight run - and processed three. Too much fighting and overbreeding of the ducks.

The worst issues started at around 4 months of age. Our hens were being chased around constantly and the drakes were fighting while standing on the hens or while on top of them in the water.

We were worried about injury to our females. Keeping that ratio unless they are breeding pairs is not a good idea. Maybe once your DD sees how the drakes treat the hens she will realize that some of them have to go. Or for your ducks sake you need to make the decision for her.

4. duck_shepherdess

duck_shepherdess Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    I know a lot of people who keep a bachelor pen for the non-breeding drakes. You dont have to keep four separate pens for four pairs of ducks.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They very well may fight and overmate the hens. It's almost guaranteed that they will once the day length increases as a result of increased testosterone production. If you don't want to get rid of 3 drakes, here's a solution- 1 drake in with the 4 hens and the other 3 drakes in a seperate pen. Your flock will be calmer and your hens will be a lot more happy.

6. dawnjoennikki98

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    thanks for all the great advice! Right now, their permanent run is almost finished, it's 16 x 20 x6. So for the daytime, I can section off one part of it for 3 drakes. My only other thing is the shed/coop. I have to figure a way to seperate them. maybe just with some wood and wire right down the middle. I'd have to make a door in it too. hmmmm, I'll figure it out, thanks everyone! Should the 3 drakes not be able to see the other ducks when they're in the pen? And of course if fighting still happens and gets serious, I know I'll have to get rid of some drakes...

Dawn

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Our duck pen has stalls like for horses and such just on a smaller scale With a tops on them, that way the girls have sometime to themseves and the two drakes are seperated, Now I also have one stall that has a goose gander and 1 muscovy duck but thats another story

8. dawnjoennikki98

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    LOL! I'd love to hear that story! [​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If they can see the hens most likely there will be fighting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by