Will the eggs be OK? Input please...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BrownEggFan, Jul 16, 2010.

1. BrownEggFan

BrownEggFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    Ok, so I have a hen that went broody and got tired of fighting with her. Like the saying goes, "if you can't beat them, join them", I decided to add 6 more eggs to her clutch. She has been sitting on the eggs 3 days now; HOWEVER, when I went to collect the eggs this evening, she was setting on the eggs that were laid today and hers were cool to the touch! [​IMG] I'm new to chickens and incubating, so I'm looking for some input. I know that the eggs can cool off while mama goes for a drink, eat, etc. but how long is too long this early in the process?? I'm so worried...[​IMG]

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    First of all,you need to isolate her is some hidey hole of her own.That way she cant escape and set on other eggs but the ones already under her butt.I have 3 broody hens and two broody ducks,but I am holding them back for now because of this southern heat.

The hidey hole needs to be big enough for her and a nesting box,food and water,and room so she can come out and stretch and relieve herself.Ours is 3'x3'x2'high.

Heres a pic of one of our past broodys.

[​IMG]

She had enough room for all her needs and her own nesting box.

3. BrownEggFan

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    gmendoza, thanks for the input. I'll try to get a small coop / run built for her over the weekend. Until then, I'll just check more frequently and remove any of the fresh eggs that have been laid. I have marked all the eggs she is sitting on so I can identify them. I have two nesting boxes in my coop for my 6 hens, so I thought she might be ok staying in with the main flock.

Does anyone else have any additional advice??

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I'm sorry, but I was literally giggling when I saw the pic of that hen sitting on her eggs...hehehe

She looks so insulted at having her picture taken, lol

So far as advice, follow theirs: isolate. Good luck!

5. BrownEggFan

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    I thought she looked more ticked than insulted, but either way, that is a serious case of the stink eye!!

6. BrownEggFan

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    I built a separate coop for my broody hen today and got her moved into it. It is 3' x 2' x 2' high with a 2' x 2' mesh "run" so she can get out into the sunshine. I put sawdust bedding down and got her food and water up on bricks to keep it out of the bedding. For a temporary nesting box, I used an old shoe box and filled it with clean wheat straw. She was resting comfortably in her new residence tonight. I'll try to add some pictures later for everyone's input. Thanks for the advice on this!

BTW, I was thinking about moving mama back into the main coop after the chicks are a few weeks old and keeping them in this smaller one. Anybody have any suggestions / concerns about this??

7. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

I'm sorry, but I was literally giggling when I saw the pic of that hen sitting on her eggs...hehehe

She looks so insulted at having her picture taken, lol

So far as advice, follow theirs: isolate. Good luck!

I second that opinion!​

8. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    That broodys name is Flame Jr. She was steamed about getting her pic.

Heres a close up of her HEEHEE!!

[​IMG]

9. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    She looks like she may eat you if you try to move her! I hope she hatches her eggs.

Don't worry if the eggs get a bit cool, they often survive in spite of going quite cold. Today I found my (outside) broody with an egg a few feet away from her covered in poo and cold. My daughter collected her water to change and dropped the dirty egg into the water to carry it away for disposal. In the house I decided that I would crack open the egg to see if the embryo had been developing, but for some reason decide to candle the cold, poopy ,and now soaked egg first. There was a moving embryo inside!

I gave the egg a good cleaning with a dry cloth and placed it several inches in front of the hen. She immediately rolled it back under her.

The egg has definitely lost its protective coating so is unlikely to hatch, but I did not want to throw out an egg with an obvious life form in it,

Sandie

10. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Quote:that pic belongs in the stink eye thread!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by