Will the EGGS BE OK???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by echix, May 18, 2011.

1. echix

echix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    One rotten popped in nest this morning!! I took Nanna off and she went to eat while I cleaned out nest. STUNK SOMETHING FIERCE!!

Anyway, I dipped several eggs in warm water to rince the goo off of them and stink. Then I put some fresh hay back in nest and put all eggs back in ----

BUT--- nest is not same shape/etc. as it was before, I moved eggs around and restructured nest for a bit and Nana came and sat on them but she didn't sit even on them and didn't get them under her well and some got cold when I went back about 30 minutes later a few were chilly and poking out. I tucked straw aroudn her and shoved them back under her and she ran off to take a bath/eat again!! Then when she came back she was SOAKED and covered them all up and some were under her butt/feet and I tucked hay all over and around her helping her to insulate herself. It's not cold here but windy and about 80.

Went back a while later and a few were under her butt/side and a little chilly!!!! Tucked them under her chest and stuffed more hay under the nest.

She was off a total time of about 10 mins but eggs chilled a bit when didn't get back under her completely until I came back around and resituated it again!

I'm so mad at myself but the nest was smelling and buzzards were circling with that rotten popper in there. I think everything is ok and back to normal now but did the eggs get too chilled??? Why doesn't she put them under her and spread out--- STUPID GOOSE!!!!!! Not really I love Nanna but come on!!!

Checked her again a while ago and all seemed under her and warm.... she's covered all up with hay just her head popping out.

My questions is how long if they got chilled and is it ok - I've heard geese leaving nests for a bit and coming back, heard of incubators stopping but still hatching a batch, etc.

Any help or advice or experience out there with this???

2. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    it sounds ok to me- like when we artificially incubate goose eggs- they have to be turned, cooled, and misted everyday anyways and they are sometimes cooled for over 10 min even. 80 degrees isn't very cool even...it's 63 here and it's been way cooler lately! I would think they are fine and will do better with that rotten egg out of there too!

3. echix

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gosh I am reading about everyone turning and having problems with incubation and etc. Nanna is doing her own thing naturally so I guess I'm not going to interfer or worry about eggs not turning right or whatnot...

RIGHT???

I got some mazzuri starter / chick starter(water packet) and heat lamp/etc. set and ready for when she hatches if there is a problem.

Would you just leave them in with her when they hatch and let her continue naturally or take them out and put them in box w/ heat and food??

4. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I'm new to this too- as I've only let chickens and ducks set and hatch their own eggs before. I'm going to let my goose sit, hatch and brood her babies if she wants to do any of that. If I see signs of trouble, then I'll intervene and brood them myself. Same thing with my Mandarins...if any ducklings hatch, I'll keep close watch over them, the Moms and Dad (with my little Australian Spotted duck family in the same pen) and then if there's any trouble, I'll take them to raise myself til they are bigger.
    SO, I'd leave her be, and only jump in if needed. They know more about it all than we do....[​IMG]
    Good Luck

5. echix

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    Ok, now I'm worried - Nanna hasn't gotten off the nest in 24 hours.

Did the eggs get too chilled yesterday???

Did they all die???

Why didn't she get off the nest last night like she usually does.

I felt under her and they all seem warm but some get to the bottom of the nest and they are a little cool. She rolls them all around..... I guess they all get even heat.

Today is about day 28......

do they sit tight right when they're about to hatch?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know Ducks do so probably same for Geese.

Last edited: May 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by