Will the feathers grow back?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ascott99, Apr 2, 2015.

1. ascott99

ascott99 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2014
    My rooster has caused one of my hens to lose a great deal of feathers on her back and some of my other hens have a small patch missing on their heads. The feathers will grow back right? Also it's obviously caused by mating but we don't want chicks. Even if my rooster is mating but we collect the eggs right away, there should be no problem right?

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Yes, they will definitely grow back.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Feathers that are broken will not regenerate until the bird goes thru a molt...
    ......feathers that are fully 'plucked' will start growing back very soon.

If you don't want chicks, why have a rooster?
    Fertile eggs will not begin to develop into chicks until they are kept at ~100 degrees F for 24 hours either in an incubator or under a broody hen.
    So if you gather them every day, they won't turn into chicks.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    ^ This. The feathers that have been plucked or ripped out will grow back. However, any that are broken or worn will stay there until they are molted. You can pluck the broken feathers so they will grow back sooner, but your girls wont find it pleasant.
    And yes, your eggs are fine unless you leave them in extreme heat, put them in an incubator or allow a hen to sit on them.

5. ascott99

ascott99 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2014
    Thank you! When will they molt? I don't know if it matters but they are about 10 months old.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably not until 18 months, the full adult molt.....but some may go thru soft molts before a year old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by