will the heat affect their laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by phaethona, Aug 13, 2010.

1. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    seems like I'm full of ?s today, but I would like some feedback, experiences, etc. from you all...

I live in MO, and we've been in a heat wave for the last week, temps in mid-upper 90s and heat indices over 100, and man is it humid! I've heard a lot of different opinions on keeping the chickens cool, some people do nothing out of the ordinary and some go to a lot of effort to cool off their birds. This being my first year with chickens, I kinda took a middle-of-the-road approach, if it's just warm, same routine as usual(and they free range and hide out in the shade when they need to), and when it's super duper hot(like today) I put a jug of frozen water under a fan inside their coop for when they come to lay in the nesting boxes.

I've noticed a few times over the past few hot days that I'll see one of them nesting, but when they come out, no egg. do you think they are that uncomfortable?

something else I should make note of is that they are only a couple of weeks into laying, dont know if that has anything to do with it.

so have you guys ever had slower production when it's really hot?
    should I try a little harder to cool them off?
  2. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm also a newbie--this is my first year with chickens. It has been oppressively hot here, with heat indexes up to 105, VERY muggy & humid. My first hen started laying at 15 weeks & my 2nd just started laying this week. Despite the heat, they have been laying every day, very consistently. I have heard that the heat will slow down the egg production but among my 2 that are laying, it hasn't seemed to affect them.
  3. kathydoolittle

kathydoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Pittsburg KS
    Mine have slowed down from the heat.
  4. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    yes high heat will definently slow production

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by