1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will the heat make thier poo runny?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by justusnak, Jun 14, 2007.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have several ( like 31) 14 to 15 week old babies. It has been very warm here, and humid. I have noticed several of them have a yellow runny poo. Could this be from the heat? I sure hope they are not getting sick.....thats a lot of sick babies!!

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    this is often a sign of worms...if you have not wormed them then I suggest you take a sample in for a faecal...

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

thanks DL, I will call the vet, see if they can do a fecal float on chickens...and also....IF it is worms...and not all of them have this poo...is it safe to medicate the ones that dont have worms?? Can I just medicate the whole flock?

edited to say....would I see worms in thier poo?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  4. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007
    that would be most advisable especially if they have not been wormed in a while (I just automatically worm mine in spring ...at the end of summer and then in January or so)

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Thanks again......tomorrow, it starts....the deworming! LOL

6. ohbejoyful

ohbejoyful Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2007
    Portland, OR
    OK, dumb question - what does de-worming consist of? Is this something I buy and put into their feed? (My girls are about 2 months old)

7. dlhunicorn

Jan 11, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by