will the hen miss the rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mstokes, Aug 18, 2010.

1. mstokes

mstokes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    We are getting ready to get rid of a rooster. I am not too upset about it myself because he likes to attack my legs and feet any time I am in the backyard. However, I am concerned that one of my hens might miss him! This is probably really strange to ask because they are just chickens, but I am curious! The hen and rooster do have a very close relationship. He even stayed in the house with her when she laid her first egg! They never get too far apart...it's really kind of sweet! Anyway, will she be sad and mopey after he is gone? Do chickens have a good memory or will she just forget he ever existed? Thanks for help with my strange question... [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Why are you asking this? Do you want to beat yourself up a little more over a tough decision you had to make? Keeping chickens means you will have to make a lot of tough decisions, some easier than others. You cannot keep a bird that is menacing you. Period. You have made the right decision for you and your family. Don't beat yourself up over it. I'm not going to answer your question because I don't kick people when they are down. [​IMG]

Good luck.

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    if they are really close she might look for him all the time, I would remove him at night when they are roosting, thats what I did with my young roos, didn't seem to faze sny of my little chicks, I know someone that got a hen off someone that originally got 2 chickens and 1 was a roo, they got rid of the roo and the hen didn't lay for 6 months until it went to the new home with more chickens then it layed 2 eggs in 1 day
    maybe you can coop her up with another chicken for a few days so she makes a new friend.

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:that was very sensitive of you.... not

5. mstokes

mstokes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Thanks for the help so far. I guess my biggest concern with her missing the rooster is that she won't lay eggs. She just started two weeks ago and is laying an egg every few days. I just don't want her to quit laying altogether now that she just started!

6. farmerbrownsdaughter

farmerbrownsdaughter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Maple Ridge, B.C.
    Don't worry, I had to get rid of my beautiful roo when the nieghbours complained and all my chickens grew up together, the hens never seemed to notice, kept on layin'....good luck!

7. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:that was very sensitive of you.... not

CMVs' response was appropriate IMHO.

The hens will get over it.

8. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    My hens were just fine when the roo left. Your's will be too.

9. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Wow, I can't wait to get rid of my roos!! I think a couple of the hens will miss them, heck, I will miss them! However, I will NOT miss them tearing up my hens backs, or trying to sneak up on me to attack my legs! I think everything will be just fine.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by