Will the Isbars pick on my bantams?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Alexandra33, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, so I'm aware it's NOT ideal, but we've decided to whittle down our number of bantams we're getting and attempt to integrate them with our large fowl flock. If it doesn't work out, we'll obviously fix up something else for them as a separate coop. But here's what I was wondering: my mom is receiving her shipment of 4 straight run Blue Isbars on March 8, and if we intend to try and make my bantams their broodermates, is it likely that the Isbars would pick on them? The breed is technically LF, but they are very small at around 3 or 4 pounds. Should I get my bantams a week ahead so they have time to grow a little before the Isbars arrive? Lots of questions for a (hopefully) soon-to-be bantam owner! [​IMG]

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it,
    -Alex

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience bantams and large fowl when raised together from chicks develop a workable social structure - frequently with a bantam at the top of the pecking order.

3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you so much, @sourland ! [​IMG] Your advice is extremely useful to me since I'm new to the whole bantam thing, and pretty much clueless on some matters.

-Alex

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by