Will the other hens hurt new babies when they hatch?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MOvermeyer, Aug 18, 2010.

1. MOvermeyer

MOvermeyer New Egg

Jun 18, 2009
    I have about 18 hens and 1 rooster. My littlest one, a little silkie, is sitting on 5 eggs and should become a momma in about a week. She is the most timid of the chickens and lowest on the pecking order, so I've had to put a board over the entrance to her little nesting area so low she can barely make it through - because the other hens were throwing her out when they were too lazy to fly up a foot to lay their eggs. Now I'm concerned that once the babies hatch, the other hens will hurt the babies if she is unable to defend them (she is about half the size of most of my hens).

Do you think the other hens will hurt the chicks? If so, what should I do? I tried to isolate her from the other hens before, but when she was separated from them she abandoned her eggs - this is a new clutch.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Once the chicks hatch you will need to separate the mom and chicks from the rest of the hens.. Yes the will attack and your silkie won't be able to defend.

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Yeah, they are evil, I discovered that the hard way. [​IMG]

4. BooeyBird

BooeyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    My ameraucana just laid her first egg EVER and she is in an enclosed space with another hen and a roo. These chickens have been in the enclosed space together there whole lifes so we thought we shouldn't remove the hen and egg into another space. Am I wrong? Should I remove the hen and egg into another coop area? :(

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

No, just take the egg. Being a first egg, its not big enough yet. And, I doubt she's broody. They may lay the egg an still sit on it for an hour...

6. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Hope you seperate them soon ! My hens(different breeds ) eats up my silkie's babies , its awful ! they will eat the eggs too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by