will the predator come back?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RasMama, May 14, 2009.

1. RasMama

RasMama Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    First post [​IMG] hope I'm doing this right [​IMG]

So I had 3 urban hens (RIR, Black sex link & red sex link) & had a skunk (probably) take out 2 in one night. I had been naive & had been leaving them out at night, but now lock them up. Thing is... I'm going out of town for the weekend & am having a hard time finding somebody who can come to lock them up at night & get back in the morning at a reasonable time to let them out. I'm wondering what the odds are that the predator will come back the 3 nights I'm gone if I just leave them out. Do predators think "hey, that was a really good easy meal!" & come back repeatedly, even if further attempts have proven unfruitful for several weeks? Any advise would be appreciated from a noobe [​IMG]

2. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    An electric fence around and burried underneath your coop will keep predators at bay

3. DODALDO

DODALDO Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    EASTERN COLROADO
    YEP THEY WILL RETURN YOUR RIGHT THEY KNOW THERE IS AN EASY MEAL THEY WILL RETURN RAS IS RIGHT I HAVE ELEC. FENCE 2 TO 3 INCHES FROM GROUND HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM YET. GOOD LUCK

4. RasMama

RasMama Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    city won't allow an electric fence [​IMG]

5. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    RandallBurkey does sell predator proof supplies as you may need to 100% predator proof your coop

6. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    Seems like the issue is whether they would be safe for three nights while you are out of town. I'm suspecting that they won't be safe and will need to be locked in. If you are having trouble finding someone you might want to check the bulletin board at TCS (if you have one local) for a pet sitter. Because they would just have to stop by and lock up and let out, it might not cost too much but would give you peace of mind. Also check out any listings on Craigslist for pet sitters. I would be hesitant to place an ad as it is an invitation to undesireables as you would be announcing that you are going out of town.

Good Luck.

7. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    put out the electric fence anyway, what the city dont know wont kill em. and unless you put a bullet in the pred. it will probably come back, probably the next night.
    and by the way..... [​IMG]

8. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]:yiipchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by