Will the roosters *ever* get along? Any advice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sunshyne276, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Will Clucky & Big Boy *ever* be able to live together, or even free-range, in peace? *sigh*

[​IMG]

At the moment, I have to keep them separate.
    I try to let the free-range together, to get used to each other, but it never lasts long.

Are there any tips for introducing roos? Do I have to let them "fight it out" to establish pecking order?
    I'm afraid it will end badly for one or both.

There are 18 hens that currently free-range, too, so you'd think there would be enough girls for two roos.

(Then hens were originally Big Boy's girls (the darker roo), got them all together.
    I had to house Big Boy separately, because the girls came to me in bad shape due to his aggression,
    missing feathers, etc.. I put clucky in with the ladies, as he is more gentle - but not with other roos,
    apparently!! ......I had planned to build a coop and little run just for the boys, but not sure now!)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

In my case and I have two roos currently, one roo has always been dominant and the other roo knows it. The dominant one chases the other occasionally but they never fight. In the case of other roos I have had, one ones that have fought to bloody, I have had to get rid of. I guess it just depends on if they can establish a fairly comfortable pecking order and stick to it or not.

3. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Thank you.. That makes sense, now I just hope I can calmly watch them develop their pecking order, to get it out of the way! lol
    Big Boy and another young male (1 year or so) came together, and the younger one does just that.....runs..
    Whenever either Clucky or Big Boy come after him. So, that probably won't be an issue thank goodness!
    But, Clucky, he seems to be the aggressor most of the time, and I don't get it! He was on the bottom of the pecking order,
    where he came from!
    He even taunts the other, leaping up at them in their temp cages, trying to fight through the cages.
    And he is small, in comparison to Big Boy!

Thanks for your reply.. I will keep trying.... Hope I dont have to get rid of either, or build a separate coop for Cluck.

4. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I know how you feel. My roos have so much personality and beauty, especially in comparison to the hens. It broke my heart to get rid of my roos but I know it was the best for all when I did.
    Good luck to you and I hope you can keep them all.

5. Xanthro

Xanthro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Quote:Clucky is with the hens now, and considered himself to be the alpha Roo. Big Boy was with the hens, and never gave up his title, so he considers himself the alpha roo.

Two Roos that both claim the alpha status will fight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by