Will the roosters figure themselves out?

Nbird

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 2, 2007
Marine-On-St.Croix, Minnesota
We have 22 hens and 3 roosters. 1 rooster is new. Our 2 old roosters have fought a couple times since the new one came, switching places in the pecking order. I thought this was over. Today they fought again and one of our old roosters, the one who used to be King Rooster, is bloody and his wattle is very swollen. Looks like there are ping pong balls in there. 1) What can I do for him? 2) Will they ever stop fighting?
THANKS!

What breed are they? Can they get away from each other, or are they penned? The combs and wattles will bleed and bruise easily, pen the injured chicken up so he can heal. Not seeing he wound, its hard to say anything, except they can heal from alot. Got any pictures?

Injured rooster is red leghorn. Other one, now top dog, is mixed speckled hamburg/leghorn. They have plenty of room - are free range with llamas as guardians. I will try to get picture, but right now he is holed up in a nesting box, with his face to the wall and REALLY doesn't want to come out. Unless there was something I thought was really necessary to help him, I thought I'd let him be for a while and see if he comes out. If so, will put in a big cage for a while. Is there some kind of antibiotic I can put in water, to prevent infection from injuries?

Well from his behavior I would say he's pretty well whopped. More than likely he has a blood blister, or just bruised and swelling. If the wound is closed, just let it readsorb and heal. I've had quite a few injuries to head/combs and wattles, swollen eyes, and such, and they heal quick without antibiotics as long as he's a healthy fit guy to begin with. The head has alot of blood moving quickly, and it's a fairly clean area, as opposed to the foot. As long as he's eating and drinking OK he should be OK. Just keep him separate until he heals, then let him range again. It might take awhile to recover from his fall from the top of the heap though. He may be able to convince a few hens to follow him. Not to say they won't rumble from time to time in the future, such is the life of a free range rooster.

Back
Top Bottom