Will the size difference Corn x vs. RIR chicks be hazardous to the RIR

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by naillikwj82, Oct 30, 2011.

1. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    We are presently brooding Cornish X and Rhode Is Red chicks together. Should we anticipate problems due to size difference. At one week there is no trouble, everyone is too busy eating. Concern is more at the 4+ week. Appreciate all thoughts. Thanks.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

I have raised CXs with egglayers. It's hard. The biggest problem is that the CXs will hog the feeders, starving out the other chicks.

3. oldorchardfarm

oldorchardfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    yea i would separate the as the cx's are a much heavier bird with a much faster growth rate.

4. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    This spring we raised 4 CX with 6 layers. You definately need to provide enough feeding space. But we really had no other problems. The layers actually would snuggle upto or under the CX for warmth.as they got older the layers would usually roost while the CX seldom did. But they all stayed together right up till freezer camp time. Used flock raiser and all were put into the coop at night which has no feed inside it. I actually think the layers kept the CX a little more active since they were always running over them and I know the CX kept them warm cause if ever there was a cool day or night the layers were always under their wings as if they were a Mama hen.
    I think it may depend on your numbers and space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by