Will the younger Roo mate with year old hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trunkman, Jun 18, 2010.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I have 5 one year old hens and 2 15 week old Roos that seem to be starting to get that twinkle in their eye. One of my roos seem to be hanging around with the older hens alot more lately. I'm wondering if the young roos will try to mate with the older hens or will they try to stay with their own age group? Will the older hens accept the young Roos since there is no mature Roos? [​IMG]

2. donjr

donjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    Yes, he will mate with the older hens and the young ones. Roo's are routhless. Even if the hens do not want to, he will get them!

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We got a young roo when we wanted to change the flock genetics. He was abotu 6 months when we got him and it took him a month or two until he took charge. Now? He has the girls, young and old, stepping out properly!

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Your boy(s) aren't ageist,racist, sizeist.....or sometimes not even sexist if they are going for alpha male slot.

Your rooster will service them all,

Sandie

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Most roos aren't picky although hens can be sometimes.

I had a hen that I thought never squatted for our roo, but I saw her do it last night so her dark marans eggs should produce oliver egger chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by