Will these 3 ever lay??? (pics)

mustangsaguaro

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
San Martin, Ca
I have 3 chickens that I got back in early Jan. from a guy. He told me they were a year to year and a half at the time. One of them I am questionable as to if she is much older than he led to have me believe. Plus she has a tumor, so not sure if she will ever lay. All my other females are laying out of 5 other hens 4 of them are for sure laying. The 5th could be hiding her eggs somewhere and I just haven't found the spot where she is laying. These 3 are questionable.

100_1298.jpg

Do you think the comb is red enough on this BR yet? It appears to be getting redder every day. He comb and wattles seem to be rather large compared to other BR's I've seen. What are your thoughts on the size?

100_1302.jpg

This is the one that is questionable, that has the tumor. Not sure if she will ever lay. Plus her comb is rather pale. Compared to the other 2 birds.

100_1303.jpg

Kim

WHEN YOU SAY TUMOR ,WHERE IS IT? R U SURE SHES NOT EGG BOUND ? HOW DOES SHE ACT LETHARGIC?I COULDN'T TELL ON THE BARRED ROCK, EITHER SHES AN OLD HEN OR A YOUNG ROOSTER.I DIDNT SEE THE FEATHERING WELL.THE OTHER HEN IS A BEAUT. THOUGH SOMETIMES IT TAKES A WHILE FOR THEM TO LAY IN A NEW ENVIROMENT .

where is it? because almost all my chickens have a lump on the front of their chest.....some are hard and some are gushy, but theyve all laid eggs
roll.png

WHEN YOU SAY TUMOR ,WHERE IS IT? R U SURE SHES NOT EGG BOUND ? HOW DOES SHE ACT LETHARGIC?I COULDN'T TELL ON THE BARRED ROCK, EITHER SHES AN OLD HEN OR A YOUNG ROOSTER.I DIDNT SEE THE FEATHERING WELL.THE OTHER HEN IS A BEAUT. THOUGH SOMETIMES IT TAKES A WHILE FOR THEM TO LAY IN A NEW ENVIROMENT .

Her lump/tumor is on the underneath side of her. In the area where you'd think they'd be eggbound. I had a expert chicken guy look at her and he confirmed it was a tumor and she was not eggbound. He told me that sometimes in hens that are known to be good egglayers, they do develop tumors. The hen w/ the tumor is definately not lethargic. She eats real good and does not like to be handled at all. As for the BR rock, I can tell you she's definately not a rooster. As she makes hen noises and doesn't have the feathering of a male BR. I am thinking she is a lot older than what the previous owner said she was.​

The second one the RIR looks a little pale in the comb etc, my girls were really bright red when they started. Is that the girl with the tumor? I don't think that would stop her unless it is right inside where she "grows" the eggs. RIR's produce nice eggs and many of them. 60-68 grms each...good luck keep us posted.

P.S. My Rhodies do not like to be handled either so if you think that is her being sick or anything it's not.

jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep, she's the one w/ the tumor. I am giving her until May to lay if she doesn't it will either be off w/ her head. Or find her a good home. I have another RIR that she'll come right up to me when I have the mealworm container. Plus she'll let me carry her around no problem. I am the 3rd owner of her and she is just a doll. The most friendliest out of all my birds.

Back
Top Bottom