1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will these breeds be good together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KCLulamae, Jul 8, 2011.

1. KCLulamae

KCLulamae Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    DFW Texas
    I hope I'm posting in the right area. I figured since I'm asking about how these breeds will act together in a flock, it belonged here more than in the Breed forum.

We're not getting the chicks until next spring but we are starting to build the coop now. As slow as we are, I hope it is ready by next spring!

Before we begin the coop we wanted to decide what kind of chickens we wanted so we could build accordingly. Here's what we are planning:

1 Welsummer
    1 Barred Rock
    1 Speckled Sussex
    1 Rhode Island Red
    1 New Hampshire Red
    1 Delaware
    1 Ameraucana
    1 Wyandotte

All standard sized hens, unfortunately, we aren't allowed to have a rooster.

It is okay to have only 1 of each breed, right? Also, in general, does these breeds get along with one another? Thanks for the input! -kc

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I am new to this, but I THINK that when they start out as chicks together, they work out their pecking order with few problems. We have a Welsummer, a New Hampshire Red, an Ancona, a little black giant and 3 EEs - they've been together since they were hatched - and they get along just fine.

3. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Anything goes and they should do fine together, however, I notice that the breeds that I have multiples of really stick together. My point being is they know they are alike and seem happier than the others who do not have a "twin". Just sayin'

Oh by the way, Slow and steady wins the race [​IMG] Planning does help.

Welcom to BYC!

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    They will be fine together.

Chickens do not recognize breeds. They do seem to know each other as nest mates. However, all you have to do is separate nest mates for a day or two and you'll find they seem to forget one another.

Do the hatcheries allow you to order just one of a breed nowaday or are you getting them from an Individual breeder? I'm just curious.

Other 'nosey' question: What is the point of keeping 1 of each of these breeds?

5. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    I also started out with 7 pullets. All different breeds and it is going great. The largest, the BO, and the smallest of them all, the Leghorn, are always hanging out together. It cracks me up. I did it to easily tell them apart, see what breeds I preferred, and also I get brown, white and blue eggs and it makes it a lot easier to tell who is laying and how often.

6. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Don't know about anyone else, but the point of having 1 of several different breeds is because there are so many breeds I like and that I think are pretty - but I don't have room for several of each breed. I also want a variety of colored eggs. It's about the variety. I don't plan on breeding them - just plan to enjoy looking at them and enjoy the eggs.

7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I was just curious. I'm always interested to learn how people think. No doubt, many here were not raised on farms and now either raise or desire to raise chickens. Nothing in the world wrong with that. I personally have no idea why you think as you do or how you reason certain things; so I ask. I appreciate the answers.

Hopefully, those that are not use to or understand us farm-types will ask why we do certain things before jumping to conclusions too; that is my desire. Again thanks for the answers.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  8. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:That is why I got different breeds too, I don't have a full size roo, so I just got different pure bred large fowl because I like them and also for egg color [​IMG] I do have a serama pen, and it is just the seramas, and my only rooster.

10. KCLulamae

KCLulamae Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    DFW Texas
    Thanks everyone for the input. I, too, am getting 1 of each of the breeds because I wanted variety. Also, there are so many pretty breeds, I couldn't decide! And yes, I know Ideal Poultry allows you to get 1 of a breed. -kc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by