Will these breeds be happy together?

silkiebanny

Hatching
May 22, 2015
Me and my mother are new at raising chickens, my dad is currently building the coop and when its done we will be purchasing 15 day old chicks, I was just wondering if these chickens will live happily together?

2 black beauties
2 ameraucanas
2 silkie bantams
2 danish brown leghorn
1 danish brown leghorn roo
2 rhode island reds
2 buff orpingtons
2 silver laced wyandottes

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Wyoming
Hi, welcome to BYC!

The only ones I would be concerned about fitting in are the 2 silkies. I think they are quite a bit smaller than the other breeds and may get picked on. Just my opinion, I've never had silkies so maybe someone with experience with them will have a better answer. The others should be fine together if they are all raised together.

Just a side note, unless you are buying from a reputable breeder, the Ameraucanas will most likely be Easter Eggers (which are wonderful birds, but they are not true Ameraucanas).

Hope you and your mother have fun raising chickens, it's entertaining and rewarding. Nice to have you join us!

Michael OShay

Crowing
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Montana
I agree with NorthFlChick regarding the Silkies. I wouldn't advise keeping them in with the standard sized breeds as they will likely take a beating. For this reason, we ended up having to remove our Silkies from our main flock and put them in their own separate enclosure with our Polish which were also getting battered. The Silkies and Polish got along fabulously. You should also be aware that Leghorns tend to be high strung and flighty and Rhode Island Reds are sometimes aggressive (particularly the hatchery quality ones).

Top Bottom