Will these Chicks be OK? Too cold??? Pics.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brian, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    My chicks are two weeks old today. Thus far they have been cozy inside a cardboard box brooder inside my house. I'd like to move them into their coop (see pic). I am experimenting today with this little brooding set up (see second pic), but I have concerns. Several of them have lain under the lamp and held out their wing. Are they cold and are they trying to warm up. What about overnight? It will get to 28-30 degrees, even with the 250watt heat lamp, and the second 125 watt flood bulb, will this be safe to do???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I would be terribly afraid they'd get too cold because they don't have the feathers yet to trap the heat against their bodies. How warm does it stay in the coop where they are?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    At 2 weeks old they are not feathered out enough to protect themselves. It will be 8 - 10 weeks before they have the proper feathering to remain warm in cold weather. Two week old chickens require a warm brooder with temps between 85 and 90 degrees.

If those chicks get cold they will get sick and die.

It cannot be stressed enough that new chicks need an source of warmth until the temps are at an over night temp of 70 degrees or they are fully feathered out. I keep a heat lamp on mine until they are at least 10 weeks old just to be on the safe side in cold weather.

New chicks should be kept with 95 degree heat with an area cooler as they move away from the heat so they can regulate themselves and stay comfortable. The can be decreased by 5 degrees each week until they are feathered out.

Please do not put those chicks out without good deep bedding and a heat lamp.

edited for typos

one more thing - I love your coop and I am jealous!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    An alternative idea would be for you to take them out during the day - to the coop - closed up and with a heat lamp.
    And bring them in at night to a smaller brooder set up.

I did that with mine, although it wasn't THAT cold - they went out during the day and in at night.

5. Brian

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    I like Chelly's idea. Also, this way they begin to acclimate.

I realize the heat requirements of chicks. They are at 85 degrees currently, because they are two weeks old today. I know they aren't fully feathered, etc. etc. I also know that not all brooder set ups across the country are indoors in a living room with an ambient temp of 70 and the heat lamps on them too. With the heat lamps on them, it seems cozy out their in the coop, but I better play it safe and move them in. Perhaps in a week, I'll move their indoor brooder box into the garage as a transitional move, and cover the top of the brooder box with a lid to keep heat in at night.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

1: No drafts
    2: Be certain temps under light are 95F at the coldest time of night, AND that no chicks are huddled up under it. Tight huddles = cold.
    3: Make sure nobody can get "lost" away from the light.

If you are going to leave baby chicks out in a large area like that, you might consider making sure the cardboard box wall is all the way around so nobody can get lost. As long as when you trot out there at 4am and it's 95 deg under the light, and there are absolutely no drafts flowing in, (the building looks pretty solid to me) they should be fine.

MissPrissy has some really toasty chicks! I don't think night temps in the 70s even happen in the hottest part of our summer out here! Shoot, temps in the 70's is our day time high in the summer! [​IMG]

Here is what I do. I brood my bunch outside starting at about a week old in March. Their brooder is either a 3x4 wood/wire/cardboard box that is about 2.5 feet tall with the cover on. I hang a 100W bulb in it and a dozen or so chicks heat the small space up pretty quick. Night temps when I do this usually range from the mid to upper 30's with the rare night into the low 40's. Day temps are usually in the lower to mid 50's.... If the grower coop is not occupied, I move them out there with their heat lamp and take the light out completely between 6-7 weeks. Day temps in the spring when this usually happens is in the upper 50's low 60's, and night temps in the 50's or so. They are very cosy in the grower coop though due to the roof being only 2 feet tall so the net air space to be heated is much smaller than your human sized coop. With such a large setup, it may be harder to keep warm if there is a big temp difference in and out of the coop.

Oh, and a chick laying under a light and stretching out it's wing is "sun bathing". A pile of chicks huddled under the light in a standing mass is a bunch of cold chicks.

Keep a close eye on the birds and if they ever huddle and look cold, they are and the set up isn't working. Better safe than sorry, and so an attentive eye and preventave measures are always your best bet. Careful of fire with heat lamps and bedding. Secure, secure, and secure them again and again, and make sure water is not too close to the bulb.

Good luck!

7. Brian

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    SilkieChicken...that was an excellent posting! I'm saving that one. Thank you for your time and expertise! I really appreciate it. [​IMG]
    Brian

8. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Gorgeous coop!!! I, too, am feeling a little jealous...... Me to my DH--- OH HONEY!!!! YOU NEED TO SEE THIS PICTURE....

tee hee

9. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    One other thing, PLEASE mase sure your heat lamps are very secure!!!! All of that beautiful straw will go up like a flash if your chicks bump the light and knock it down. My chicks at 2 to 3 weeks will start flying up and sometimes hit the gaurd of the light. I would sure hate to see a post about your coop catiching on fire... Jenn

10. MNKris

MNKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    If they are enclosed so they have to stay under the lamp, they would be OK if you have less than 25 chicks per lamp. We have ours outside in the barn here in MN where the day they came home it was a balmy -20. It's an insulated coop. The temp in the coop is about 60 degrees, and the brooder is anywhere from 80 to 105. The chicks tend to sleep where it is about 100 degrees. We have 28 chicks in one area with two lamps (about a 3 x 3 brooder, and then about 85 in another brooder that is 8 x 4 with four 250watt heatlamps on them.

They have to be out of the wind and draft and you want more than one light on them in case one burns out. They will freeze to death without the lamps directly on them so they must not be able to get away from the light. Ours our 4 days old now and they seem to be doing very well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by