Will these lay green or blue eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AliciaM, Jun 4, 2011.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    I hatched out 3 babies the other day out of blue eggs. Moms were easter eggers and dad is a black langshan...2 of the 3 chicks have feathered legs and I dont think they have puffy cheeks..
    If they turn out to be girls, are they going to lay blue or green eggs?

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    The blue/green egg gene is related to the pea comb. There was a great discussion on here a few days ago. It was actually on the Turken/Naked Neck thread and here is a link that explains the gene. http://reocities.com/Petsburgh/6624/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    While the blue egg gene is thought to be linked to the pea comb it is not a certainty. The creme legbar is a straight combed bird that lays blue eggs. There are many instances where birds crossed with straight combed birds still laid blue eggs. I have crossed my Araucanas with polish and after several generations I have v-combed, crested, muffed ( because I added EEs in there also for looks)blue egg layers. So there is genetically something else going on there besides the pea comb. I have also had straight combed blue egg layers.

If langshans lay white eggs ( I don't have a clue) then your babies will lay blue eggs. However just like any other gene it can be bred away. One of my true rumpless tufted araucana hens does not lay a blue egg, its tan pink, even though her father hatched out of a blue egg and she hatched out of a blue egg. I am breeding her back to a roo that hatched out of a blue egg to see how easy it is to get the blue gene back.

Its interesting stuff.

Lanae

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    I have to disagree with the previous post. The pea comb allele is linked to the same chromosome as the blue egg shell allele.

If one gene is linked to another gene, that does not mean the two are always inherited together. The blue egg shell gene and pea comb gene are linked very close- about 3 centiMorgans. This is very close- so the two are usually inherited together. The chance is very small for a chick to inherit a blue egg shell gene and a single comb gene from a heterozygous parent. One parent must be heterozygous for single/pea comb and blue/white shell color in order for a single combed and blue egg shell chicken to be produced. The other parent must be homozygous for single combed and white egg shell.

The following applies to a parent that has a pea comb and lays an egg with a blue shell.

The only way a bird can receive a single comb gene and a blue egg shell gene together is if crossing over occurs during prohase of meiosis. What happens is one chromosome swaps alleles ( one section of a chromosome) with another chromosome. One chromosome trades the pea comb gene for the single comb gene. This leaves one chromosome with the single comb gene linked to the blue egg shell gene and the other chromosome has a white egg shell gene linked to pea comb. The parent gives the single comb/blue egg shell chromosome to its offspring.

The offspring can then produce more offspring of the same phenotype.

Tim

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If the langshan lays a white egg, then yes, you should get blue or green eggs.

I have a half orp, half ameraucana pullet with a single comb that lays a teal colored egg. I got very lucky!!!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Langshans lay a medium brown egg; significantly darker than a silkie eggg, slightly darker than a plymouth rock egg.

tadkerson has explained linkage quite well. About 97% of the time the genes will be inherited together. About 3% of the time, separately. Once inherited separately, the blue egg gene is now linked to the not-pea comb allele.

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We have several straight comb blue egg layers most are clean faced as well..never have got a pea comb to come out of this one cross and never had a white egg come out of it either [​IMG]

8. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:Most likely your V combed birds that lay blue eggs have both the pea comb allele and duplex comb allele.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Then obviously the crossover occurred before you got your birds, or in their first pairing. Once crossover has occurred, the blue egg gene is linked to the not-pea comb (straight comb) allele.

10. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    So I have a question then. I have a hen that is an araucana. Her dad was a straight combed araucana that hatched out of a blue egg and she hatched out of a blue egg and has a pea comb. I am assuming her dad didn't get the blue gene, because she doesn't lay a blue egg it is pale tan. I am breeding her to another araucana roo that has a pea comb and hatched out of a blue egg in the hopes that her pullets will lay green eggs indicating that the blue egg gene is present again. Any thoughts on how successful I will be. Her oldest pullets are not quite laying age yet.

Like I said interesting stuff and I understand almost nothing, I can only comment on the observations of my flock.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by