Will these pullets start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by branston, Nov 23, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I got my 9 teenagers as day old chicks at the beginning of July. I integrated them very successfully to my main flock about 6 weeks ago and have seen my two roos on a couple of them. Today, I popped my head in the coop and there was one of the roos showing one of the teenagers where to nest and she did for quite some time but no egg appeared? As they all about the right age to start laying, will they, because of the shortened day light hours? I could really use the eggs as my 6 big layers are only laying 2 eggs a day now

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hatched in early July? That makes them..... 18-19 weeks. You didn't list the breed (s). Most large fowl of common breeds do not begin laying 22-26 weeks of age. So, you've some time to wait and see what happens. Often a first year pullet begins laying winter, with or without much supplemental lighting. If you do not supplement their daylight, then you'll just have to allow nature to take its course.

3. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Hi there, the teenagers are 3 Brahamas, 3 Buff Orps and 3 Ameraucanas. The one with the roo was an Ameraucana but I've seen the roos on one of the Buffs and one of the Brahamas. I'm going all natural so don't substitute lighting

4. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I have Ameraucana pullets that are around 30-weeks and they're still not laying. They're in excellent health and I do use supplemental lighting. Ameraucanas are late bloomers and the time of year makes them later bloomers still.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by