Will These Roos Continue To Get Along?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jiff, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Jiff

Jiff Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Bennett, NC
    I have a cochin roo and silkie roo that are both 4 months old and have been raised together since they were a day old. They currently live in one side of my coop with a silkie pullet, and when she starts laying they will join my other two hens. The cochin is dominant and the silkie acts more like the pullet then he does a rooster--he is very docile so far and is more interested in taking a dust bath than watching over his hen (the cochin is always alert). I know that "technically" I have too many roosters, but is there any way that they may be able to live together? They are both pets and I'd really hate to have to get rid of one. They have both been crowing for a while now, and haven't fought any since they were a bit younger. The cochin is only aggressive towards me & my boyfriend. I know only time will tell, but has anyone EVER had two boys get along with only a few hens?

2. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    I have no idea because I have a lot of hens and a big coop, but right now I have 2 sometimes 3 roosters living together and they don’t fight at all…they are very docile and act more like hens then roosters also. If one roo is submissive and one dominate I don’t see a problem as long as the silkie stays in his place and doesn’t challenge the other. I would be more worried about your hens then the roosters that’s a lot of rooster “attention” for just a few hens you may end up with a cut up bald backed/headed hens from all that “attention.”

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by