Will these still hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TexChix2, Apr 18, 2011.

1. TexChix2

TexChix2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    When my bantam silkie went broody a couple of weeks ago I decided to let her sit on some eggs (not her own, but three fertilized eggs from other hens.) This is my first attempt at incubating with an actual chicken doing the job, and apparently I picked the most immobilized brooder of all times. At day 13, the eggs now look like this? I'm hesitant to interfere, reluctant to give up hope. Can eggs covered in this much poop still hatch? Should I attempt to do anything, or just let nature take its course and hope for the best. (All three appeared to be alive when I candled at 7 days). [​IMG]

2. Peepfreak59

Peepfreak59 Out Of The Brooder

Hi,

I have a Mama hen who thinks she wants to sit on all the eggs, and when I was away for 5 days, my Dad was watching taking care of the chickens, He did not want to interfer with the Mama and left her with the eggs. When I got back she decided she was over sitting on just left the eggs. I turned on the bator and put them in and they all hatched in 14 days [​IMG]. So I guess you do what your heart tells you too, that's what I did!!! Good luck!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by