Will these work? ( PICS! )

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, May 22, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Here is a very small cardboard box that I made. All I did was cut a small hole in it small enough for a button quail to go inside and feel safe, but big enough for me to fit my hand inside to collect eggs. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Will this feeder and waterer work for a pair of full grown button quail?
    [​IMG]
    Let me know what you think!
    THANKS!

2. SamG347

SamG347 Songster

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Cheap...easy...and easy to replace. Looks like it will do just fine to me. The nest boxes are going to be out of the weather right?
    [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I wouldn't use that waterer, they'll get in it, tip it over, and spill water all over the shavings. Wet shavings stink...big time! I have small parakeet waterers that clip to the side of the cage. Obviously, you couldn't use that if you are using a tote for their housing, but you could try a small water bottle (like for hamsters) they can use those. I just use a small margarine bowl that I've cut down to about 1" deep for their feed, that works fine [​IMG]
    I'd turn that box over the other way, so the nesting material stays inside the box, but otherwise it looks good! [​IMG]
    ETA: I assume these are for the buttons you're getting?

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  4. paddock36

paddock36 Songster

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    There is another bottom that you can get for your waterer. It only comes out about, maybe 1/4 inch instead.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:That one will still spill, especially if it is on shavings. Believe me, I have some buttons in a plastic tote that have a quail-base waterer. I even have it elevated so they don't kick the shavings in it.....doesn't work. A water bottle would be much less messy, and it wouldn't take them long at all to catch on to using it.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Yes, I'm getting a pair of buttons. [​IMG]
    I am going to keep them in a plastic box with wire on the top so it's going to be kind of hard to attach a bottle to the side. [​IMG]
    Yes, the nesting box is going to be in the house in my room. [​IMG]
    Do you think if I drilled a hole in the side the the bottle that'd work?

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Yes, I'm getting a pair of buttons. [​IMG]
    I am going to keep them in a plastic box with wire on the top so it's going to be kind of hard to attach a bottle to the side. [​IMG]
    Yes, the nesting box is going to be in the house in my room. [​IMG]
    Do you think if I drilled a hole in the side the the bottle that'd work?

It's not hard at all, I did it with my guinea pigs. Just drill some holes in the side of the box as high as you need to hang the bottle, and just hang it backwards, if you will, inside the box [​IMG]

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I don't know what these quail are used to, but I bet I can get them used to somethin' else!
    Oh, I have a question: Can I put ACV in their water? I do for my chicks and chickens, but I didn't know about the Button Quail?

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I don't know what these quail are used to, but I bet I can get them used to somethin' else!
    Oh, I have a question: Can I put ACV in their water? I do for my chicks and chickens, but I didn't know about the Button Quail?

I believe you can, though I don't know for sure. I don't see why it would hurt them? [​IMG]

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Okay, I will give that a try!! Only 3 more days ... I So Can Not Wait To Get The Button Quail!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, forgot to say that they're are the wild color. Or what ever you call that color! Does anybody have any?

Last edited: May 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by