will they ALL molt in the spring?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wendy'sChicksRock, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    Mine were to young to molt last summer, do all chickens molt in the spring? If so will they have their feathers back by july? Im wondering how we will show them if they are not done molting? Do most people hatch new birds to show every year?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wendy'sChicksRock :

Mine were to young to molt last summer, do all chickens molt in the spring? If so will they have their feathers back by july? Im wondering how we will show them if they are not done molting? Do most people hatch new birds to show every year?

Most of mine did a molt in October. Looks like a feather factory around the coop. It takes them a month or so to get their feathers back. If they are molting, you usually don't show them. Folks that show birds are usually hatching year round... but many have their "season".​

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine are still molting here. It came in waves, the ones that started, are pretty much feathered back in. I still have a couple of tailless girls and my light brahma just started her molt and looks horrible.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    My birds all molt in the late fall, that is the norm for most chickens. Then it usualy takes about 3 wks for them to start to look good again. most of feed a slightly higher protein after a molt to help condition the new feathers.

AL

5. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Chicks born this year will not have their big molt till next fall. Chickens do not moult in spring they go broody in spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by