Will they always lay at the same time of day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vjbakke, Aug 8, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We have one hen that has laid an egg every day at noon for the past 4 days. Will she always lay at noon? Does it change?

2. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    It depends on the chicken. Some will lay at the same time everday, and some don't. My banty hens are very unpredictable, might get an egg by 9am or as late as 4pm, or none at all. I think they like to surprise me . You might have a good hen that will lay at the same time everyday.

3. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Thanks she is a RSL. She laid her first egg last firday around noon and has laid one around noon every day since. She is the only one laying so far.

4. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    Hi.

I'm not sure about all of my hens cuz I just got too many....LOL..

However, my spanish bantam is on a schedule.... she was a 6 day layer with the 7th off for her first year...now she's every other day with an occasional 2 day in a row lay(she's 2 now)....with her, if she laid one in the early morning...the next day would be about 2-3 hours later than that time and then next day 2-3 hours later than that time....etc until she was laying into the early evening...then the day off with no egg and then the early morning start again... she was so predictable. [​IMG]

Here's Molly: [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Tammy

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Generally speaking, I believe that chickens lay every 26 hours or so, which would tend to have them laying at different times of day. But I've read where others say their birds lay every morning. So...I dunno. But I have four whose times vary.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If your RSL is of production, commercial stock, which is most likely, they are bred to lay everyday and most often in the AM. This trait is bred into the commercial type hen. Our RSLs lay every morning before 9 am. We had ISA Browns, another commercial strain, that laid everyday by 8 am, or they didn't lay that day at all, which is a rare event for an ISA.

The whole 26 hour cycle thing doesn't often apply to these RSLs. Our black sex links did seem to follow that trend and also took a day off more often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by