Will they attack you???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by percyj, Aug 2, 2010.

1. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    I have been reading about ducks, and it seems males are the quietest. If they imprint on you will they attack you? I /don't/ want babies btw so one gender for me plz thanks!!!

2. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    My male has never tried to attack or even snip at me. They don't attack like roosters do, if that is what you are thinking. Females are the ones you have to worry about if they are broody and sitting on eggs or taking care of her young ducklings.

3. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    But you have females right??? I would have only males.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A friend who had two muscovy drakes tells me that they were mellow for the most part, if a little standoffish. After she got some females of another breed (they were kept separate), one of the males hissed at her. She gently held his bill for a moment and explained that his behavior was inappropriate. That was the end of it. They are fine with her, have never gone after her.

Some drakes get aggressive, however. It can happen. There are a number of ways to tell the drake that they have to straighten up. Every now and then I hear of a hard case, and the drake has to go, but that is the exception. Many people have drakes that are just a fun bunch of guys.

Most often, I hear about the bad behaviors during breeding season.

5. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    Hmmm....are you sure? Cuz I've got a 5yr old bro and a stupid dog and i'd die if the drake went after them. But it would sooo be worth it if I could keep more than two ducks....more responses plz!!!! And I could have magpies, runners, rouens...... And ooh oooh! Blue swedes!!! Instead of a couple Cayuga grlz not that they are not gorgeous....

When and what is breeding season? Does it occur without grlz???

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  6. chickensrfood

chickensrfood Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Yes there have been many fatalities near the small duck pond in my neighborhood so use caution. Ducks have razor sharp teeth and sometimes carry knives. Seriously??

Its a duck it can't do any harm to you. I would do a lot more research and maybe visit some live ducks before deciding to purchase one.

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Get some bantams and stay with all males. Ducks are so much more chill than chickens.

8. Snakeman

Snakeman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    I have 5 Muscovy(and six hatchlings) and 16 other ducks. My original 3 were a Muscovy drake and a Silver Appleyard/Kahki Campbell mix drake and 1 Muscovy hen. The 2 drakes still get along well and occasionally take a mock run at someone. On rare occasion, the mixed drake will actually take a small nip. Kinda funny since it doesn't really do anything. They do get a little aggressive at breeding time but The only time that was a problem was when I had more males than females. Even then, it was only the other ducks and drakes that had a problem. None of my drakes have ever ATTACKED a human or a dog. Although, my dogs and cats are afraid of them. lol

9. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    Was that supposed to be a joke chickensrfood? Cuz if it was lol that was funny really! If it wasn't exuuuuse me! I'm thinking of getting some male runners...... So many choices!!!! Now that quiet isn't an issue what are your fave breeds????!!!! Heehee!

10. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I been raising various breed's of duck's for over 5 year's.I've never had an agressive one.I did get a slight nibble once and hissses from a sitting pekin once.I have never had muscovie's however.I Have mainly mallard this year and 5 surviving pekin and one drake cauyga mix.My 2 oldest mallard drakes were abit testy when I got a pair of new bantam chicken's earlier this year but they all house together in the old horse stall now so..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by