will they be crammed in the brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sydney13, May 20, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Im getting 1 gosling and 6 chicks tomorrow and then in a week im getting 25 more chicks. i will have the 32 birds in this brooder together for 1 day and then im giving 25 of the chicks to a friend, so only 7 birds will be in the brooder. the brooder is 2.5 ft by 1.5 ft and is a rubber maid box. does this sound like they will fit ok?

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    they should be ok

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Way overcrowded in my opinion. That is not enough space for the gosling by itself. The gosling in with chicks is not a good idea. It will make a mess of the water and feed.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yes, way too crowded for that many birds....even if it's just for one day.

5. micaheart

micaheart Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Since you are giving 25 chicks to a friend, can't you set up a separate brooder for those babies using the light, etc that your friend will be using anyway? That way it won't be so crowded.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I agree. Way over crowded even for just the ones you're going to keep. No way I'd put twenty five more in!

Especially with that gosling in the mix you're going to want to double the size of your brooder pretty fast. AND set up some sort of arrangement that the water he splashes doesn't soak the bedding because wet litter is an invitation to disease.

The twenty five for your friend need to go into a separate brooder.

7. gstone

gstone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    Just get a second rubber maid box. I quickly realized that the 'brooder' I had all ready and waiting for my chicks wasn't going to be big enough for them by like the second day ~ so I emptied out my winter sweater bin (trash bagged them and put them in the basement) and used that for them instead (I only had 6 chicks in an extra long rubber maid bin) More space is always better - but look at how they do things at hatcheries or what not - it is only for a day.... I know nothing about the goose though. [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by