Will they be ok in the coop all day?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catsew, Aug 9, 2011.

1. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    We are going to be out of town most of the day on Thur. Will the chickens be ok if I keep them locked in the coop all day? The high temp is only 76 and they have food and water in there. There's only 2 of them in a 4x8 coop, so they have tons of room. We'll be home before dark though, so not sure what kinds of predators might come out during the day?
    We only have their temporary run up right now, but may have the permanent one done tomorrow, but even still, I'd prefer to watch them for several days first and see how safe it is.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They should be just fine in the coop. Better safe than sorry [​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    You bet! They will be just fine.[​IMG]

4. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    You say that it will only be 76 degrees, but didn't state whether this was an outside temperature or the temperature in the coop. Depending on how they are made and where they are located, coops can act sort of like a parked car and heat up inside way more than what the temperature is outside. Perhaps between now and Thursday you should check the temperature inside the coop several times during the heat of the day, depending on the angle of the sun and whether or not your coop has shade. If the temperature inside the coop is too high, you'll have a day or two to rig up additional ventilation before you have to coop them up for the day.

5. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  6. catsew

Jun 14, 2011
    Good idea to check the temp. I'll do that today and tomorrow, although its pretty cool and cloudy. I can't imagine it would get too hot, but I don't know. It has 2 windows open for ventilation right now and the whole roof line is open.

7. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    coop them for sure.

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Better Safe than sorry, coop them and leave treats food and water.

BAZ...

9. catsew

Jun 14, 2011
    Along the line of coop questions, will they go inside on their own if it starts to rain? And I mean more like a thunderstorm, not just rain. So far it has only rained at night so I put them in before the storm hit. They have shelter under the coop, but I don't think it would do much with wind/rain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by