Will They Be Ok or Should I Shut Them In Coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bantam Username, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    My 11 week dutch chicks have been outside a while now, but only in a proper coop and run for a week. Today is driving rain and pretty windy.
    Every night I gather them up and shut them in the coop and every morning when I open the door, they burst out into the run and start furiously scratching around in the grass (or whats left of it).
    They never go in the coop except when its dusk and I put them in, today they are huddled under the sheltered part of the run under the coop being blown around by the wind but still won't take shelter in the coop. Is this normal? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my little coop. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    I don't know if its "normal" but during a day of pouring rain my chickens huddled under a small pine tree and NEVER went into their coop. They only went into the coop when it got dark.

*I love your cat!*

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  3. jh7192

jh7192 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    Taneytown MD
    First of all, that's a very nice coop and run. I would not worry about the chickens staying out in the rain. It appears from the photos that the birds have feathers. Birds have an oil gland at the base of the tail. Healthy birds take good care of their feathers by preening regularly. When preening they get oil from the gland and spread it over the feathers. They also lay the feathers down neatly and smoothly so the interlocking barbs are properly aligned. Between these two mechanisms, the bird's skin will stay dry underneath it's protective feathers.

4. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Quote:Thanks, its just my old pair that I had before used to go in and out their coop all the time.
    The cat was there (Blue) because if she senses something else getting my attention she always has to insert herself between me and what I'm doing! Lol. [​IMG]

5. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Quote:Thanks, I was just worried they might be getting a bit cold and wet through sheer idiocy. [​IMG]
    My brother in law built this coop for me years ago, he didn't do a bad job considering he knew nothing about chickens, I really need to get a bigger one, but just can't afford one and don't have the tools or the know-how to make one myself. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by