Will they be ok?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cochunk, Dec 10, 2011.

1. cochunk

cochunk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Our hens are cold hearty, but at night its been getting pretty cold, in the 30's -20's. maybe im just worrying for nothing, but what are some ways i can keep the coop more insilated at night.

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    They can take the cold. Make sure you don't seal up the coop, they need good fresh air flow/ventilation even through winter. If you notice frost forming inside your coop, that's a sure sign you don't have enough ventilation. Chickens generate a lot of moisture just by breathing, and you need good air exchange to get rid of it. Goodluck with your birds.
    Jack

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    It is better to have them cold and dry than warm and moist. They can take cold really well. You will be surprised that some of them will come out on real frigid days (once they get used to the chillier temps). I have had chickens in -10 degrees with no problems. The coop usually stays about 10 degrees warmer than outside temps, that's how warm the chickens are!
    You can add straw and that will help insulate, you can put straw bales on the outside of the coop to insulate.
    no condensation or frost on the inside should be there, if you see that look into installing a roof vent or 2, that will carry the moist air out. Even with it below freezing at night the past few nights here I have the window cracked to ensure it stays dry.

5. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    They are fine....if anything add extra bedding.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Mine have done well in a non-insulated metal coop. I just added a few straw bales and 1 or 2 bags of pine shavings. No frostbite. I did see them all puffed up a few times. I read giving them scratch at bedtime is supposed to help somehow.

They handle the cold way better than I did when we lost heat for 5 days.Our house got down to 32 degrees. I was crying like a baby,but the hens were all good in the coop with warm water and food in those single digit temp days.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Get a woodstove and you will sing with joy regarding the warmth. You can make it 80 if you want in there. [​IMG]

BTW I love your avatar and think it looks like a Chicken in a spaceship!!! [​IMG]

TY OP for humoring my comments.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts I would just put some bales of hay in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by