Will They Be Okay?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bacchus, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Bacchus

Bacchus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    I was unpacking some boxes in the yard yesterday and a piece of styrofoam (about 1.5'x2' and .75" thick) fell out. I left it there for exactly 10 minutes to carry some stuff inside the house, and by the time I got back the chickens have pecked off all the corners and a bunch of holes in it! It's not like they don't have food around, they had plenty of food in their feeder and a bunch of chicken scratch near by. But no, they had to run way across the yard to eat up the styrofoam board! Will they be okay? [​IMG] They seem to be doing fine this morning... Doing things that chickens do best. However, now I'm wayyyy more cautious of what I leave laying around.

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Yep they will be just fine. [​IMG]

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I've read of other peoples chickens eating styrofoam. Appearantly they love the stuff and they will be ok.

4. Bacchus

Jan 9, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. It's been 2 days since they ate the styrofoam board and they're doing just fine. I guess they must be cold, hence they're insulating themselves with styrofoam boards! [​IMG]

5. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have heard of children eating it with no ill effects, so I would think the same for chickens. The stuff never seems to break down I would think they would just pass it.

6. Bacchus

Jan 9, 2009
    Quote:That's good to hear! [​IMG] I've been keeping an eye out for their droppings, but there's no sign of any styrofoam excreted... They probably just pecked at it and only ingested a small amount, if any. Thanks for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by