Will they be okay?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Fancy Feather Poultry, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Its 29 degrees here. I think all my chickens are huddle up for warmth not sure, sence I just put a little heat lite out there for some warmth for some odd reason they started sleeping on top of there little house, they have tarps all over the run except one part.. to keep out wind and snow.

Do you think they'll be alright?

Edited to say Im just worried because were getting 30-45 mph winds.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2007
  2. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    Please someone re-assure me they will be okay.

3. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Temps in my henhouse dropped to about 28 last night.. with the heat light on (it was 9 outside). My chickens came through it fine. As long as your chickens have been slowly getting used to the temps, they really should be ok, IMHO.

As for the wind, that would be your issue. If you stand in the coop near your girls, can you feel it blowing? If you can, and were me, you'd cover the gap just to be safe.

Meghan

4. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    Yeah, we were supposed to fill the roof
    gap this weekend, but "someone" got to busy playing
    with his new plough to cover the gap. Cant worry about it now.
    the news says thw winds suppose to settle down and we had a warning
    until around 12.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, we have high wind warning of 40 sustained up to 60 gusts from now till tomorrow evening? Mine are all sleeping outside again like usual. I think yours will be fine too.

6. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I bet they will be fine. They are very good at huddling together. Between that and the heat lamp they will stay warm enough. Temps here are colder than yours. Just make syre they have water, if the water freezes over for to long they will get dyhidrated quickly and then be more suceptable to freezing. I actually pour out hot water so that it lasts for several hours. I tried a electric waterer but it didnt work long. I also kept small waters all over in the house with the heat lights so I know they have plenty. I have been really worried about my turkens. Here last night we had a really bad storm, I couldnt stand thinking about my poor ugly turkens freezing. I went out to check on them and they were just fine. Their necks were really warm to. However they were so happy to have me out there in the middlr of the night inspecting them. I got pecked a time or two. Anyway you can sleep good knowing your chickens are just fine.

7. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    We use a water warmer thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by