Will they be okay?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scoopy82, Sep 18, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    I have just come home to find my husband had let my girls out and the broody hen had gone out for a scratch and ended up locked out of her nest. As soon as i let her back in she went and sat, but i felt the eggs and they were all cold. I think she may have been off them for about 5 hours max, the weather is about 18c. Does anyone think they will be okay?

2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    i think they might be fine [​IMG]

3. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    no they are not any good give her some fresh eggs

4. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Eggs that have gotten cold have hatched.

5. scoopy82

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Hmmm, I just candled a couple and I will be devistated if they are dead, they had such good development. I will leave them with her and candle again in a few days to see if they have continued to develop. If they have stopped at least I will be able to get her some more eggs, just a shame I had paid for these ones and they were sent a fairly long way. I would love to hear if anyone else has had a similar thing happen and still have successful hatches.

6. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I had a hen walk away from her nest after 2 chicks harched, by the time i came home and realised the eggs where cold. I put them in the bator and they hatched just fine.
    Good luck with yours [​IMG]

7. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I would not toss the eggs. Give them 5 days or so then recandle you may have some stop but you should still have some going.
    Good luck

8. imaturtlefan

imaturtlefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    I have hatched under broodys 3 times now, and at least 2 of the times, I went out and the hen was off, and the eggs were cold. I almost tossed them, both times, but let them be anyway. Both times, they hatched! Id keep them. Mine weed out the eggs as they go bad I think, I will find one here or there that they have kicked out after sitting for a while.

9. scoopy82

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Thanks everyone, I feel there may be some hope from your posts. I will candle them on friday (or thursday if I just cant wait any longer) as if I need to give her more eggs then I dont want to wait too long, she has been sitting for 12 days today so the sooner I change them if I need to the better.
    Thanks again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by