will they be safe?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by threecutechicks, Jun 14, 2011.

1. threecutechicks

threecutechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Camano Island, WA
    I have a large old dog kennel that has a concrete floor, I have wrapped the kennel with small gauge netting and the top has a tarp over the top that has been tightly secured down over the sides. I built an A frame chicken coop inside. So my question is, do we have to go out every night and close the door on the coop during the warm summer months? The gate to the kennel is always latched unless they are free ranging. We don't have a rat problem and the kennel can not be opened by racoons. Thanks!!!!!

2. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    I don't think a tarp on the top will stop a coon.... I wouldn't do it with my flock.

Kristi

I just saw on another thread that you also have small gauge netting on the top.... Sounds like it should work.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

What do you mean by "small gauge netting"? If it's not wire a coon will go right thru. Suggest you wire in the top 2x4 welded wire or smaller is fine and and hardware cloth up the sides about 12 - 18 inches. This will stop a coon's entry and stop reaching thru the side at chicken height while allowing the birds to come and go out of the coop as they wish and be pretty safe. If you want, Lowe's and Home Depot sell chain link panels in various sizes and you could fasten one on. Just don't lay the panel on the top or a coon may squeeze thru the gap. You have the right idea but need to tighten up a little

4. threecutechicks

threecutechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Camano Island, WA
    Thanks!!! We are getting some small wire fencing for the top this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by