Will they bully her.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blondiechic, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Blondiechic

Blondiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    Yesterday afternoon I went out for an hour, in that time whilst my girls were in my enclosed back garden a predator (presuming a fox) came in and took three of my four girls. One survived. She has lost some feathers but otherwise seems to be ok.
    She clearly needs some friends and I have found three who are about 16 weeks. The thing is, they live together so if I bring them home will they pick on my girl as a gang or will she be in charge as its her house?
    I don't want her to be lonely, I can get younger ones but the three are quite docile.
    Thank you for any advice.
    It was a terrible day yesterday. My girls all were so sweet and nice and hung out. Under my deck or in the back garden...

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    They might. Or she might bully them. They will need to establish a new pecking order and there will likely be a little bullying involved but that is normal and it will be temporary. You could try putting either your one hen or the three new birds in a large wire dog crate or something similar pen that allows the two groups to be "together" and meet without being together for the first couple introductions. But, I think for the most part you just gotta let them work it out and she will be much happier in the long run. Watch for blood but otherwise let them be.

3. Blondiechic

Blondiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    Thank you - I was just concerned that because the other three already hang out together they would gang up on my girl, she is pretty tough but after losing her flock doesn't need to be stressed. I will keep the separate and see how they go...if I get them tomorrow. Not feeing chicken enthused after yesterday, but don't want her to be lonely. I left her shut in today as I had to go out and wanted her to rest and she isn't impressed - at least if she has friends I don't need to feel mean about that.

4. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    I just posted a similar question about adding to a flock after losing a chicken and people recommended a 30 day quarantine for the new birds so your original hen does not get sick. So if you get the new girls today make sure they do not have any diseases that could infect your current bird. It would be sad to lose the last of your original flock to illness. Best of luck! I am adding new chickens soon too.

5. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    So sorry to read about this! I would be devastated,, All the care we give them, and then some horrible predetor gets to them. Not like it's the dead of winter yet!

I leave my girls when I go in the house sometimes,,,,,,,,,,,I try to leave my LSGD out with them, but sometimes someone unknowingly lets him inside, and I go running out to do a head count.

Good luck with your new birds,, let usknow how it goes.

MB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by