Will they come back for night time? I need help. update

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jennyhaschicks, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I don't know what to do. My brother in laws two dogs chased my chicks while I had come in the house quickly and now two out of 16 won't come back. They scattered everywhere when it happened and it took them hours to come out. Sun is down here in Maine and I am still missing two BR chicks. They are four weeks old. I have left the coop door open a bit because my other chicks who are four weeks old are in their brooder and my seven week old chicks are on their roost.
    I feel like a failure. I don't know what to do? Do they always come back at night?

eta I still can't find the missing two. I wonder if they will make it through the night. Did I mention I feel terrible and sick to my stomach?

update- I went out first thing this morning and I can't find them. I still have faith though. As the day progresses I hope they come home.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    Did you try taking out food and shaking it in a container?? Maybe the noise will attract them?

Not sure [​IMG]

I hope all works out!

Louella

3. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    Close the door so that the varmints can't get in. The chickens will not come back during the dark.

4. Whistling Badger

Whistling Badger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    a burrow in a pasture
    I don't have any advice for you, being new at this myself, but good wishes for a happy ending.

One of my friends who used to be very enthusiastic about chickens finally stopped keeping them because, as she put it, "Everything likes to eat chickens." Based that and on reading here, it seems like some losses are normal. Very sad, but normal. So even if the worst happens (hopefully it won't!!!), don't think of yourself as a failure. Stuff happens. It isn't your fault.

Good luck.

Tom

5. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    they prolly didn't go far they are just hiding. i'd get a flash light and go searching. if they make it though the night they will prolly make their way back.

good luck

6. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I closed the door minutes after the sun went down. I didn't want to put my flock in danger. I hope they make it through the night. It's not that cold tonight. I know some losses are normal, but I just feel like I put them in danger. I have taken a flashlight and looked many, many times this evening. They hopefully are closer than I realize. My husband is at work right now, but I sent him a text message saying that maybe I don't want to free range anymore.
    Keep your fingers crossed.

7. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    You dont think that the dogs might have got the babies while they were chasing them do you?

8. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Hopefully they are well hidden for the night. if its dark now they will stay put, look for them early am. yes, close coop now it if is dark [​IMG]

9. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I don't think the dogs got either of them. I am almost sure they didn't. One dog is a pug who is a baby. She likes to chase them of course. The other is a lhasa apso who couldn't catch a cold. I got there just as all the chicks were running everywhere and I didn't see anything like that. I feel so bad. They are under a light still in their brooder and they are all alone.

10. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Hang in there... :aww These things happen and although some people don't get upset... I sure do, so I totally understand your upset.

If the weather isn't too cold, they'll make it huddled together. In the early morning rattle the food dish or... whatever you typically do to try and bring them to you. Be prepared for the worst... you might be surprised by the best.

ps. you already know this... tell your BIL to keep his dogs away!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by