Will they come home?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishbait2473, Jul 5, 2011.

1. fishbait2473

fishbait2473 New Egg

May 24, 2011
    I am new to raising chickens but I am interested in letting y chickens out for a little while, but I am scared they won't come back home! Do chickens always come back roost?

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    ours do, but I would watch them the firsts few time and see where they go.

also its good if they come when you call them.

start with a call, while you through them a treat.
    after a few times, if they hear you call, thell come running [​IMG]

3. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    If they've been using the coop for a while, I'd let them out the first time just a couple hours before dark. They should stay close. Next day add a couple hours, and keep doing that until you (and they) feel comfortable being out whenever you want. Like GoldenSparrow said though, you should have them trained to come get treats before you do, in case a few have issues going in the coop the first couple nights.

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    YOu didn't say how long you have had them. It is best if they've been in this coop for a while before you let them out. If the flock was older it would prob only take a few days, but I keep young birds in a new coop for at least a week before I let them free range. [​IMG]

And at first I only let them out about an hour before sunset with me watching.

Choose your call carefully! Like an idiot when I was a newbie I tried to sort of imatate the sound of a rooster (the way he calls his ladies to a treat?) Now I am stuck with it!! [​IMG] I sound like an idiot but they DO come a running!! [​IMG]

BTW [​IMG]

5. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

YOu didn't say how long you have had them. It is best if they've been in this coop for a while before you let them out. If the flock was older it would prob only take a few days, but I keep young birds in a new coop for at least a week before I let them free range. [​IMG]

And at first I only let them out about an hour before sunset with me watching.

Choose your call carefully! Like an idiot when I was a newbie I tried to sort of imatate the sound of a rooster (the way he calls his ladies to a treat?) Now I am stuck with it!! [​IMG] I sound like an idiot but they DO come a running!! [​IMG]

That's really funny and original. I am sure all the rest of us sound the same shrieking "chickens!"

BTW [​IMG]

6. chickenlover4444

chickenlover4444 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    I always let my chickens wander and explore and they always come back to thier coop. But the first few times you should keep an eye on them to see where they go. My chickens always go to the garden in the font yard to have a dirt bath so whenever they're out of the yard I know where to find them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by