Will they come in out of the rain?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by arcatamarcia, Jul 18, 2011.

1. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    I have four pullets in a suburban backyard. Today was the first day the dogs and the chickens were in the back yard together. So far, so good. But it's sprinkling. Is it okay to let them free range in the rain? They have a nice warm, dry coop and a dry run. If they want to be out, is it okay to let them? Or are they really too stupid to come in out of the rain?

2. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:They'll figure it out. I would worry more about the dogs than the rain...unless you are really sure, chicken chasing is a big temptation for most dogs.

3. LivingRootsFarm

LivingRootsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Samsula
    Mine stay out in the rain. Or since I have a raised coop they will all go underneath it and hang out. They are pretty much impossible to get them in the coop. I have to wait until they are all in for the night before I can close their door.

4. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Quote:Yeah, this will be an only-when-I'm-home thing. My dogs have a hard enough time staying off the furniture. They would definitely have a hard time with chicken temptation if I wasn't here.

5. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    We don't worry about rain here in Oregon. The go into the coop when they want to.

6. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    The first time mine were out in the rain they didn't understand the concept of finding shelter....lol they all just pressed their bodies up against the privacy fence and stared at the sky...like they were asking the gods to stop the madness... I even tried to lure them to shelter under the coop with food and all they did was eat it then run back against the fence. It was pouring out... I think I ended up getting more wet than the chickens did trying to get them to go to a dry place.

I guess I am a lucky one...my dog has never showed any aggression towards my chickens. She has always been a docile dog. I leave her out in the yard with the chickens all the time. Usually if anyone is chasing anything it is my chickens chasing the dog around the yard...It's pretty comical to watch 7 little chickens scaring the daylights out of my 55 lbs. dog. I have personally watched them "attack" my dog while she is sunbathing on the porch. When they were only a couple of months old one of my BR would actually climb on her while she was laying next to me....LOL All she would do is stand up and the BR would slide off of her and then she would just come to the other side of me and go back to sleep.

Dereck

7. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My chickens first rain was a sudden deluge and they got SOAKED. Just stood there when the open pop door was inches away. Yesterday, there was a light steady drizzle (thank heaven!) and they put themselves in the coop. Mine got it, and I'm sure yours will, too.

8. 4acresNachick

4acresNachick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    All of mine seem to like a light misty rain especially on hot summer days but all 14 that range around take cover in anything harder then a sprinkle. It only took one big rain this spring for the younger ones to get the point and it helped having older hens to lead the way. I also have a dog that has turned out to be great with the chickens. I haven't trusted her alone with them or anything but she will lay on the lawn and 10 of my younger girls will forage around her and she usually will just chew her ball or follow behind and try to eat the chicken poop. so gross! she thinks they are some kind of treat dispenser or something. [​IMG] a black lab, go figure

9. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My dog does this same exact thing....lol it is absolutely gross...last night I went out to spray down the porch(my son insists on giving them their treats in the shade) and she gives me this look like I just spat in her dinner.... dogs are gross....gotta love em tho.

10. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    I was watching a show about the dust storms that ravaged Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, etc... during the 30's. There was an interview with an old lady who said 'when the chickens ran for the barn we knew it was time to board up the house'. She said they were the smartest animals on the farm. Not mine, though, they live to cover themselves in mud [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by