Will they come inside for the snow storm??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BekkiH, Feb 8, 2013.

1. BekkiH

BekkiH Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    We had an incident last night, and one of my hens got taken by something. I wasn't able to lock them up when I normally do, and they free-range, so. :(

Last night, we could only locate two. I thought for sure that the rest were goners. But this morning, my roo and one of the hens came out - they must have been hiding in the woods.

I want to take the advice of other chicken owners and keep them in the coop for a few days (so that whatever has been snacking on my chickens will hopefully lose interest).

The problem is that right now, they're all wandering around the yard, doing their usual thing.

We're supposed to get 2 feet of snow today, and I would love to have them all tucked in before it gets bad out.

Should the chickens be expected to go back to the coop on their own, once the snow really gets going? There's no way I can catch them all to put them back in. Or should I be worried that they will get buried in the snow? :(

I did put their food and water inside the coop, and turned on a light.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Give them special treats like cabbage or corn, hopefully they will stay in the coop. Stay warm !

3. BekkiH

BekkiH Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    I tried treats. They love scratch and mealworms. They are completely ignoring them. Plus their food and water are in the coop, now.

It's not snowing bad yet, just flurries. Think they might go back in when it starts getting heavy?

They are NOT letting me pick them up to move them in. Ugh.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Get a long stick (shovel, rake, whatever) and herd them to the coop with it. Just go slow and use the tool to steer them. Alot of times walking behind them with your arms wide will work too, but the stick gives extra reach when one decides to break away from the others. Good luck.
    Nikki

5. luvmyEs

luvmyEs Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm expecting 2 ft of snow here too. Mine hate snow and I know that they will stay in the coop on their own. I'm sure your's will do the same. Just to show you how intelligent chickens are, one day I was trying to put them up early so I could go somewhere. Half the chickens were already in the coop and I tried to get the other half in by throwing treats in the coop. Do you know what those idiots did? The half that were inside came running out to look for treats on the ground. They didn't even eat the stuff in the coop. Hopefully your chickens have more of a brain. Good luck!

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Were they attacked in the coop? If so, it will be a tough sell to convince them that it's safe. If not, do they normally return there to sleep? Mine always sleep in the coop and will return there at dusk. Shock from a predator attack would throw them off for a while but I'm sure they would return after the shock wore off. At least, that's what has happened so far (they've never been attacked in the coop). However, they will shelter from rain any dry place they can find so I wouldn't count on snow sending them running to the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by